Gild the Dragons
Help these legendary fire-breathing dragons glisten and shine with the stunning craft set Gild the Dragons by Djeco. Just peel off the numbered sections to reveal pre-glued sections, then carefully apply the shining foil leaf sheets. Follow along with the instructions or get creative and pick your own colors for each image. The end result is four unique dragons with dazzling foil accents that will look fabulous in any knight’s or damsel’s bedroom. Gild the Dragons includes four thick sticky cards, nine foil sheets in varying colors, an application tool, and step-by-step instructions, all housed in a lovely sturdy gift box.
Note: The wordless, pictorial directions Djeco includes are helpful, but may not be adequate for those who have never tried a similar craft. To remedy this, we have listed detailed directions below, to expand on the illustrated directions in the Djeco kit.
1. Choose which dragon you would like to complete first. Let’s assume for our example that you choose “Dragon des neiges” from page 8.
2. Look to see which color you need to foil first. Page 9 indicates that the first color you’ll need for “Dragon des neiges” is silver.
3. Each color has been assigned a number, with silver being assigned the number 6. Locate every part of the picture that is labeled with a 6 and peel it off. You are essentially peeling off the paper sticker cover, leaving the sticker adhesive exposed below. Using the included green tool will help you easily peel back the paper.
4. Place the silver foil on the sticky areas of the canvas, with the shiny side of the foil facing up towards you.
5. Rub with your fingers or the included green tool, or even a dinner spoon if that is more comfortable.
6. Peel back a bit of the foil, and if you like the look of the picture, continue to lift the rest of the foil film. The ideal result is a somewhat distressed vintage look, but sometimes there can be gaps in how well the foil transferred. In that case, you can try burnishing (rubbing) the foil a bit more thoroughly and aggressively. If necessary, you can place an unused portion of the foil on the remaining sticky area and rub again.
7. Now repeat steps 2 – 6 for the next color. The next color for “Dragon de neiges” is red, as shown on page 10.
8. When you have finished adding all the foil colors, display your artwork and enjoy!
Another outstanding component of Timberdoodle's 2015 Third-Grade Curriculum Kit!