You Don't Need This Book
Really! However, for some of you, it may be the most useful science supplement you can buy, and that is why we are excited to offer it.
How the Young Explorer Series Uses Notebooks
The Young Explorer Series is our favorite science program for young scientists, and with good reason. The Charlotte Mason approach provides lots of information in a readable, engaging format. Lessons are designed to be spread over multiple weeks, with significant portions devoted to hands-on experiments and to notebook keeping.
Notebook Keeping Explained
Notebook keeping is simply a system for assisting your child to document what he has learned in each lesson. With the use of this book or even an ordinary 3-ring binder, your child will write out the highlights of each lesson. If your child doesn't enjoy writing, don't let that discourage either of you. The author of this book encourages you to have your child dictate his thoughts to you or illustrate them.
Regardless of how you implement it, this approach helps your child to think through what he has learned, distill it down to its most basic level, and communicate it effectively. If he can't communicate it well, he probably doesn't really grasp it.
Two Approaches to Notebooks
When it comes to what notebook you use, your options are as varied as your children. We suggest one of two approaches. The cheapest option is to visit your local discount store and pick up a 3-ring binder. Then, print out the PDF to use as starter pages, punch holes in them, and begin.
For some of you, though, the time involved in a shopping trip, the cost of printing out forty-odd pages, and the effort of getting them all hole-punched and placed in order in the notebook is a bigger expenditure than simply purchasing a ready-to-use notebook. It is for your family that we offer this great tool.
A Wide Variety of Resources
With 200 ready-to-use pages, as well as 64 pages of full-color supplements, the spiral-bound Chemistry and Phyics Notebooking Journal includes:
Another outstanding component of Timberdoodle's 2017 Seventh-Grade Curriculum Kit!
- A daily Schedule for completing the readings, notebook assignments, activities, and experiments utilizing a two-day-per-week plan.
- Fascinating Facts Templates for your student to record what he has learned with both words and illustrations for each lesson.
- Templates for completing the Notebooking Activities.
- Review Questions for each lesson, which can be answered orally or as written narration.
- Scripture Copywork, with both print and cursive practice--a valuable method for memorizing Scripture; teaching spelling, grammar, and writing; and for handwriting practice.
- Project Pages and Scientific Speculation Sheets for the student to keep a record of experiments or projects completed throughout the course.
- Fly Higher ideas for each lesson which include additional activities, projects, experiments, books, or videos that correlate with the lesson.
- Beautiful, full-color, lapbook-style Miniature Books, which the student may wish to create, encouraging him to record facts and information learned in each lesson. These are then placed on the Miniature Book Paste Page to display in his notebook.
- Field Trip Sheets to keep a record of field trips he enjoyed during his studies.
- A Final Review with fifty questions the student can answer, either orally or in writing, to show off what he knows about zoology at the end of the course.